Welcome to the Museum of Magnetic Sound Recording
MOMSR is dedicated to the preservation of the technology of sound recording and its impact on music, broadcasting, film/video and science. In addition to the vintage technology, our Museum documents the significant individuals who invented, manufactured, engineered and produced audio creating the sounds in our lives!
Our Ampex 200A #33 may now be seen on the third floor of the Bob Bullock Texas State History Museum in Austin Texas. View video
The 1948 reel tape recorder is on display with items from Asleep At The Wheel, Floyd Domino and George Strait.
On January 5, 2020 the Ampex AG-440 reel to reel tape recorder from our collection arrived at Atlanta's Screen Gems Studio 6 to appear in Jennifer Hudson's movie, "RESPECT," about Aretha Franklin. It's scheduled to be released in October 2020. Hope it passes its screen test!
Larry DeVivo shared photos about the Presto studio he's created as well as Presto ads. View
Special notice: Our private collection, purchased over the past 20 years is currently undergoing downsizing. We are retaining many of the historically significant recorders. However, there is some duplication and many sound recorders that are represented by other machines. We will list the items currently for sale on our "Sale" page.
What is unique about our online sound recording museum?
• Over 100 + vintage (most are working) reel to reel tape recorders displayed with supporting memorabilia The collection has been downsized from 225 reel and wire recorders.
• 125 + vintage microphones and numerous mixers and recording accessories
• Vintage documentation from the 1900's to the present including manuals, ads, catalogs and magazines
• Sound recording devices that include most of the US and many international manufacturers
• Some of the first magnetic tape recorders from Ampex, Brush, Magnecord, Sony, Studer and Teac
• Historical summaries and personal stories from the major international sound recording companies
We documented our collection and made the 7 hours of video available on line!
"The most comprehensive information about the open reel, or analog reel to reel tape recorder!" See below